The Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) on behalf of Governor Tom Wolf announces a drought watch for 30 counties including Bucks County, which seeks a 5% reduction through voluntary conservation measures. Please click the following link to view the PADEP Press Release .
Please consider the following voluntary water conservation tips:
Water Saving Tips Inside the Home
- Turn the faucet off while brushing your teeth. Use a glass of water for rinsing your teeth.
- When shaving, use a sink filled with rinse water. Do not let the faucet flow.
- Take short showers instead of baths and consider bathing small children together.
- Do not use the toilet as a trash can.
- If the shower has a single hand control or shut off valve, turn off the flow while soaping or shampooing.
- Refrigerate a bottle of drinking water instead of letting the faucet flow until the water is cold enough to drink.
- Turn the faucet off while cleaning vegetables. Rinse them in the sink with the drain closed or in a pan of water.
- If you wash dishes by hand, do not leave the faucet flowing for rinsing. Instead, use a dish rack and spray device to rinse them. If you have two sinks, fill one with soapy water and one with rinse water.
- Fill the sink with water to pre-rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
Water Saving Tips Outside the Home
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveways, steps and sidewalks.
- Wash the car with water from a bucket. If a hose is used, control the flow with an automatic shutoff nozzle.
- Water the lawn only when needed. If grass does not spring back after walking on it, it probably needs water.
- Water the lawn or garden during the coolest part of the day. Do not water on windy days.
- Set sprinklers to water the lawn or garden only. Do not water the street or sidewalk.
- Use soaker hoses and trickle irrigation systems to reduce the amount of water used for irrigation by 20 to 50 percent.
- Use mulch around shrubs and garden plants to reduce evaporation from the soil surface and cut down on weed growth.
- In landscaping, use native plants that require less care and water than ornamental varieties.
- Cover swimming pool to prevent evaporation.
- Adjust the lawn mower to a higher setting to provide natural ground shade and promote water retention by the soil.
Thank you for your consideration!