Thursday, June 29th A large black bear was sited and tracked through the Palomino Farms section of Warrington Township. Police and Wildlife Officers are currently attempting to capture the bear. Please use caution when enjoying this beautiful weather. As of 2:40 pm, Friday, June 30th the bear crossed Pinto Road behind some homes. Police and animal control are in the area.
If sited, please call 911 immediately.
The Warrington Township Police Department suggest residents take the following precautions to minimize encounters with black bears:
- Keep a respectful distance. In most cases, the bear will move on quickly.
- If a bear is up a tree on or near your property, give it space. Do not approach. Bring your pets inside to provide the bear a clear path to leave your property.
- If you see a very small cub, do not try to remove it from the area or “save it.”
- Secure your garbage in bear-resistant trash cans or store it in a secure building.
- If you have a trash collection service, put your trash out the morning of the pickup, not the night before.
- Do not store household trash, or anything that smells like food, in vehicles, on porches or decks.
- Keep your grill clean.
- Don’t put meat scraps in your compost pile.
- Don’t leave pet food outdoors.
- Remove bird feeders if a bear is in the area.
- Encourage your neighbors to take similar precautions.