Bank Building built in 1799 by Barclay.
John Barclay built what is now known as the Hatboro Federal Savings building at Easton and Bristol Roads in 1799. The savings association purchased the property in 1963 and had extensive interior renovations done while preserving its historic nature.
When Barclay, for whom the school in Palomino Farms is named, built the brownstone where he intended to spend the rest of his life. But after the death of his wife several years later, he moved to Philadelphia. He died in 1824.
Barclay was an important personage in the early years of this country. He served as a lieutenant during the Revolutionary War and retired in 1781 with the rank of Captain. He later devoted years to public service as justice of the peace, president judge of the Bucks County Courts, delegate to the Constitutional Convention in 1790 and has held many other prestigious positions.
After the death of his wife, Barclay sold the mansion to Benjamin Hough in 1804, whose family owned the home for 51 years. Hough’s nephew, Ulysses S, Grant, was a frequent visitor to the home.The public can visit the kitchen with its preserved colonial settings.
— Thomas A. Mackin, Chairman Township Historic Commission