Pleasantville Services started in 1840.
“The groves were God’s first temples.” It was a wooded grove in which a group of people met in September 1840 to attend a series of religious services and plan formation of a religious society.
John Dunlap gave two acres along the Whitehall Turnpike in Pleasantville for a church. The cornerstone was laid on October 19, 1840 for the Pleasantville Church. The cost was approximately $3,000. The labor was free. It was known as “The Brick Church.”
Some 53 years later the church was torn down and replaced with a new one at a cost of $7,000. The first services were held on Christmas Day, 1898. It had beautiful stained glass windows. In 1934, the church merged with the Pleasantville Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1957 it merged again becoming the Pleasantville Church of Christ. A year later the congregation purchased an organ.
–Doris Dillingham, Member Township Historic Commission