If you plan to be away for an extended period over the winter, please make sure the temperature does not go below freezing in your home to prevent pipes from bursting. A broken pipe or meter due to freezing can incur significant costly repair costs.
Plumbing and meters located against exterior walls, in unheated basements and crawl spaces are particularly vulnerable to the cold and can easily freeze in below freezing temperatures. This is also true for your water meter. To avoid costly hazards, we suggest the following:
- Eliminate Drafts
- Close crawl spaces, vents and doors.
- Repair broken or cracked basement windows.
- Make sure basement doors and windows are closed tightly.
- Insulate Pipes
- Be sure pipes in unheated parts of your home, including crawl spaces, are protected from freezing.
- Use properly applied heat tape or pipe insulation
- Open Cabinets to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing
- Please be sure to remove all harmful cleaners and chemicals if there are children in the house
- Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses
- Disconnecting hoses from their spigots allow water to drain from the pipe.